Thursday, May 14, 2009

Getting bigger all the time!

So I found this while perousing the internet the other day and I thought, "Holy Cow! Even when I think I'm eating healthy I'm not!" Now I'm horrible at counting calories, I'm not even sure I know what a calorie IS! And I think I LOVE food WAY too much. I mean I gained a wooping 60 lbs my first pregnancy and took over a year to take it off! But I think portion sizing is the easiest way to be healthy and still be able to eat what you want. So here are some portions that made me go "whoa!" I know 20 years is a long time (most of me life!) but things have sure changed since kindergarden!

20 years ago
: a bagel was three inches in diameter and had 140 calories.
Today’s portion: six inches and 350 calories.
20 years ago: a cheeseburger had 333 calories.
Today’s portion: 590 calories.
20 years ago: a portion of spaghetti and meatballs used to have 500 calories.
Today’s portion: 1,025 calories. This includes two cups of pasta with sauce and three large meatballs.
20 years ago: French fries were 2.4 ounces and 210 calories.
Today’s portion: 6.9-ounces with 610 calories.
20 years ago: a turkey sandwich had 320 calories.
Today’s portion: a 10-inch turkey sandwich has 820 calories.

Even though I know portions are bigger, actually seeing these examples - which by the way, are from the National Institutes of Health - really brings it home. No wonder obesity rates are so out of control in this country.

Did any of these portions surprise you?

1 comment:

  1. shocking huh! i knew food portions have gone up drastically. i've even seen comparisons like those. you know what is really surprising to me, though, is what some think is a serving size. i saw a show where they had people guess how many servings were in this frozen, personal sized pizza. no one got it right, which was 8! 8 serving in a pizza a child could easily eat by themselves. that's BS! how can they get away w/ that?! companies are sneaky, i tell ya'. now that i am calorie counting, my eyes have been opened!

    ReplyDelete