Saturday, July 11, 2009

Music & Memories


Jordan won an iTunes gift card. He handed it to me this morning and said "Go crazy!"
Where do I begin!
There are so many songs I adore that I would never buy the cd for. Also plenty of songs that I know Jordan would roll his eyes at (any broadway, girl-power...basically something that's not old, neil diamond or jimmy buffet)
Yesterday I watched Casper and I simply love that song at the end "Remember Me This Way" It brings me back to summers with my sister and watching that movie.
I think that's why music is so powerful. It brings you back to that place in time, good or bad, and is like a powerful nostalgic drug. You can completely relive a moment in time with a song.

The song "Yellow" by Cold Play always brings me back to riding the bus for Drama competitions and having Tyler Kunz and the 4 M's sing and play the guitar. Some of the best times of my high school happened on buses. Maybe that's weird for other people. But I spent a lot of time being bussed around and it was always with friends. I guess that's what happens when you grow up in a small valley town that is 45 minutes from anywhere. Between drama, band, choir, cross country, skiing and so many random things I always enjoyed the bus ride the most. Probably because I had a captive audience :-)
So I'm sitting here trying to make a list of songs I love to hear over and over again. But most of them end up being from high school. So I am stuck in this nostalgic mood.
The first CD I ever bought was "Jewel" from the local drug store where I also worked.

I love "Cake" their song "Going the Distance" always reminds me of my first 2 years of pep band with Sterling, Jared, Joe & Don. They were the first ones to play that song for me.
Sarah Mcluaghlin is always one of my favorites. I think she was played at every school dance.
In high school Vanessa Carlton was one of my sisters favorites. Her and Michelle Branch, both came out around the same time and seemed like the first main stream artists that sang and played the piano by themselves.
Josh Groban is my first college year completely. "You're still You" became my sisters favorite song then. She refused to admit she was waiting for a missionary, but she listened to this song everyday. (Don't worry, she married him! 5 Blissful years ago) I loved "You Raise Me Up" so much that it was played during my wedding ceremony.
So I added songs to my profile, and I will probably wait to buy any new songs as I just enjoy these for a while. They are the old mixed with the new. All songs I love.
It's fun sometimes to take a walk down memory lane and relive such wonderful times. I can't believe it's been so long since high school. So many friends that have been lost. Some re-found on the internet. I am blessed to have each and everyone make their impact on my life.

2 comments:

  1. i totally remember tyler singing yellow at state drama. it was the first time i had heard the song and i loved it. good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "you're still you" was what illya and i danced to at our wedding. i still get teared up when i hear it. i have so many songs where the moment i hear it, i get taken back in time..."low rider", "september", "sweet baby james", "total eclipse of the heart", "more than words"...i could go on and on! great idea for a post. i might just have to borrow this one from ya'! =)

    ReplyDelete